Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Naj Sul, Mr. Nobody, Exam, Rampage

Naj Sul/Daytime Drinking (2008)

This South-Korean movie was way too long and boring. It is about a twentyish boy who is supposed to meet his friends in Jeongseon, but no one shows up. Then he meets different people, and every one of them makes his trip worse.
Boring, flat production, lack of soundtrack, gray and cold weather which suits the life of the boy.
The highlights are the dialogs. They are smart, funny and make it worth to watch the movie.

My rating: 5,5/10


Mr. Nobody (2009)

The average imdb rating on this movie is 7,5, and I can’t understand why it is so high.
This sci-fi movie is very beautiful shot, with a great cast and soundtrack, but is sooooo boring. I was hoping for a lot of cool sci-fi things, but instead of that, all you get is boring and uninteresting love/family scenes. I gave this up after about 30 minutes.


Exam (2009)

This movie starts great. Nice shot, beautiful soundtrack and an interesting plot: 8 candidates in a room, 80 minutes to solve a mystery. They are disqualified if they try to communicate with the one guard or the boss, or they spoil their paper.
This movie reminds me a bit of “Cube” without the deadly traps, but they may have to cooperate to succeed.
Unfortunately there are a lot of weak elements here. Firstly, I think the acting is stiff and bad. Secondly, the characters are a bit stereotypes, and for the third, the ending is kind of stupid. Hard to explain, but this was not my movie.

My rating: 5/10


Rampage (2009)



Woah! This is probably the sickest watchable movie I have ever seen. I use the phrase “watchable”, just to compare it with a lot of sick not-watchable movies like “Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma”, “Sweet movie”, “A Hole in My Heart” etc.
This movie is about 23 year old Bill who is doing a killing spree in a town. (Sorry for the spoiler)
I think it is hard to evaluate the film because of its gruesome story and meaning.
The cinematography is good; shaky and looks sort of real. The acting is good. There are a lot of nice action scene and effects. I wished the soundtrack was not so toned down, and some of the editing is a bit disturbing, but maybe it suits the theme of this film. I don’t know much about the director Uwe Boll, but I have heard that he is a legend of computer games and has made a lot of bad movies. I think this is one is brave, and I really wonder how it will be received by the different people out there. This is not a bad movie, just hard to swallow.

My rating: 7/10

No comments: