Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Album of the Month


Gift Horse –”Mountain of Youth”

I discovered Gift Horse through Blalock’s indie/rock playlist of June 2010, and got sucked in their music. The band is from Athens, USA and this is their first album.
Gift Horse sounds a bit like a mixture of Film School and Calla. I’m no expert to write about the music itself, so I refer to what “The Silver Tongue” writes about them:

"Filled with heavy, exploding drum beats and a magical, ethereal blending of guitar, bass, and keys, Gift Horse has the ability to draw you in, capture your mind, and compel your imagination. Their songs carry menacing undertones and floating vocals that at once pick you up and mellow you out. Each melody offers a climax, backed by raging cymbals, which give way to atmospheric organ tones preparing you for the next climax and back around again."

I like almost every song on the album, but my favorites are “Not the only one”, “October House”, “Eyes” and especially the last slow track “And when I die”.

My rating: 8,5/10

">

http://www.myspace.com/gifthorsetheband

No comments: