Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

Old and new music

When I discovered the band Young Rival some days ago, one of my old favorite bands Rival Schools popped up in my head. What happened with that band? They gave out one lp "United By Fate" (2001) and the band dissolved. That was a shame. United By Fate has a lot of great songs: Travel by Telephone, Undercovers on, Good Things, Favourite Star, So Down On. With those good songs and many more, I would rate the album 9/10.


">


The other band, Young Rival sounds cool too.
They have their own style, but I would say they sounds like a mixture of Queens of the Stoneage, Ambulance Ltd. and The Vines. You decide:

">

http://www.myspace.com/youngrival

Film School is giving out their 4th album these days "Fission", which I preordered (then I will get the CD signed) and was given the mp3's of the album as well. By the first listenings I was not completely satisfied. Where are the muscles? I thought. I have listened through the songs 3-4 times now, and I can say that this album is better than "Hideout" (2007) but far way as good as the very great self titled album from 2006. I decide that I will give Fission some more time before I will rate it.

">

Other good new music: Well, I got my brother to write down his 10 favorite albums of all time. One rule was that he could put only one album from a band.
His list was this: (in no particular order)

Anathema - Jugdement
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Katatonia - Brave Murder Days
Opeth - Morningrise
Ulver - Bergtatt
Metallica - s/t
Blackfield - Blackfield II
Den Saakaldte - All Hail Pessimisn
Keep of Kalessin - Armada
Paradise Lost - Draconian
Satyricon - Volcano
Ikunien Kaamos - Forlorn

...and decided I would check out the ones I hadnt heard of. That would be Blackfield, Den Saakaldte and Ikuinen Kaamos. I have only listened to Den Saakaldte and think they are very good.

">

I did also write down my 10 best albums one day, and that list is here:

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Beck - Odelay
Opeth - Orchid
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Radiohead - Kid A
Film School - s/t
Low - Long Division
Sonic Youth - Murray Street
Tool - Ænima
Thee More Shallows - More Deep Cuts

No comments: