Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2012

Best music albums of 2012

At first when I was to start ranking my top 10 albums in 2012 I was thinking it would be hard, that it was impossible to find 10 worthy albums, but I soon discovered that was not true. In this year's list most bands are a bit unknown like Suicide Dolls, Grass Widow, Creepoid and Helvetia. 


1. Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral 


This is my favorite Mark Lanegan album.With so many great tracks it was easy to rank this #1. Favorite track: "Phantasmagoria Blues".

2. So Much For Nothing - Livsgnist

 

The first time I put together my Top 10 list I managed to forget to put this really great Norwegian black metal debut album on. My favorite metal album in a long time. Favorite track: "One Last Night".

3. Suicide Dolls - Prayers In Parking Lots




This unknown rock band really deserves more attention. They remind me a bit of Pixies, Sonic Youth and maybe even a bit of Turboneger. I didn't find any good quality clips at youtube, but you can find their music on Spotify and bandcamp: http://thesuicidedolls.bandcamp.com/album/prayers-in-parking-lots. Favorite track: "Shoo".



4. Django Django – S/t



Great new music. Saw them live in Berlin, but that was a bit disappointing. Many cool party songs in this album. Favorite track: "Firewater" 

5. The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben



Aufheben is really a great chill album. A very different work from the earlier albums of BJM. Their show in Oslo was fantastic.
Favortite track: "I Want to Hold Your Other Hand".


6. Damien Jurado - Maraquopa




 A beautiful album from Damien Jurado, the first one to get on my top 10's.  Favorite track: "Life Away from the Garden"


7. Grass Widow - Internal Logic


 Great album which sounds like Electrelane and Veronica Falls. Favorite track: "Goldilocks Zone"




8. Allah Las – s/t


Nice psychedelic rock. If you like The Brian Jonestown Massacre I think you will like these guys.
Favorite track: "Tell Me (What's On Your Mind)


9. Creepoid - Horse Heaven



Great music. The good songs on the album are really something, I didn't have to listen through the songs too much before I was thinking "this is my sound". Favorite track: "Stranger".


10. Helvetia - Nothing In Rambling



 As for many of the other great more unknown bands on this list, I hadn't heard of this band before this album. I'm not sure how I discovered Helvetia, but I'm sure I don't regret it. Favorite track: "Nothing in Rambling", which sounds a bit like The Black Keys.





No comments: